Rhinoplasty process begins with your first decision, continues with the doctor and clinic search and finishes with seeing the final result after the surgery. It means this is a long period that lasts almost 1 year. After you find your doctor, he/she explains to you the details about each step. After these full-of-explanation meetings, you can totally understand what you need to expect from your surgery.The first thing you need to know is this is a surgery that corrects your nose shape and size. Your nose cartilage and bones are being operated. Therefore, the surgeon uses incisions and sutures usually by using an open surgery.After Rhinoplasty, you will face bruising, swelling, drainage and pain. As you will be aware of these usual complications before your operation, there is no need to worry when you face it.
There are some caring instructions to decrease the effect of these complications after Rhinoplasty. Let’s take a look at them together.
How To Care Your Wounds After Rhinoplasty?
• There will be some drainage in your nose with mucus or sometimes some blood. Do not worry about it. You will have gauze pads to clean it. It is important not to allow them to enter back inside of your nose.
• For avoiding the drying you should use a saline spray for about the next 3 months. You may use it by depending on your need. 4-5 times in a day is normal usage.
• For dissolving the sutures, you need to keep them moist. For this purpose, you should apply an ointment gently on the sutures of incisions.
• Your surgeon uses the ear cartilage for your Rhinoplasty surgery for some cases. Because of this, you may have other sutures on your ear after Rhinoplasty. Use your ointment for your ear sutures, as well.
• One week after surgery, your plastic splint will be moved from inside to outside. It will relieve you. You can start to wash your face or head after this application. However, you need to be careful and protect the splint from the water as much as you can.
• Of course, the ice packs will be your best friend for the first days after your Rhinoplasty surgery. Ice application will make you more comfortable and help to reduce the bruising and swelling around your nose and eyes.
Is It Necessary To Restrict The Dailt Activities After Rhinoplasty?
• Sleeping will be one of the most restricted activity after Rhinoplasty. You need to be sure your head is raised by using pillows after about one week your surgery.
• The first week after Rhinoplasty, you should avoid moderate and heavy exercises, from carrying heavy things and from bending the head down.
• You shouldn’t take a run or go to the gym for a while. But you can take a walk as often as you wish.
• You can use your glasses. But you need to be careful about the weight of your glasses. You should change the nose-pad of your glasses with a larger one. Your glasses should be light and should not interrupt your splints after Rhinoplasty. You can also use your contact lenses two days after surgery
• Be careful not to drive for 24 hours after Rhinoplasty, because you will still be under the effect of your medicines.
• You shouldn’t blow your nose. If you have any defluxion you may use your gauze pads to wipe it.
• There is no need to change your diet after Rhinoplasty. But healthy eating helps to heal your surgical wound faster.
• For the first week after Rhinoplasty, your sense of smell may be affected by surgery. This may cause losing your taste or appetite. But do not worry about it, it is just a normal temporary effect occurs after Rhinoplasty.
• To drink lots of water or liquids will be very helpful for speed up the recovery process after surgery.
Which Medicine Should Be Taken After Rhinoplasty?
• To stop your pain after Rhinoplasty, you should take your painkillers.
• For avoiding any infection, your surgeon can give you antibiotic pills.
• You may use multivitamins to feel better during your recovery period after Rhinoplasty.
• Your surgeon may also give you dexamethasone pills to take for the first week after your surgery. This helps to decrease the effect of the swelling and to make you feel more comfortable.
Does “Visiting The Surgeon” Really Matters After Rhinoplasty?
• Your surgeon will set a periodical follow-up appointment schedule after Rhinoplasty surgery. They will be more often first 4 weeks, then you may follow the routine visits of 3rd,6th and 12th months after Rhinoplasty.
• This is very important to follow these appointments to have an easier recovery period.
• Except for the necessary treatment and dressing actions, your surgeon will listen to your complaints and provide helpful solutions.
• After Rhinoplasty, you need to follow all of the instructions that your surgeon gives you. They all help you to pass this recovery and healing process as smooth as it can.
What Are The Other Caring Tips For Further Months After Rhinoplasty?
• To protect your operated nose from the sun is also very important. Sun may cause the swelling inside of your nose. Remember to use your sun protection cream or spray at least 15 SPF for about 3 months.
• Your breathing can be difficult in the first week after Rhinoplasty. But it will improve thanks to the first interventions and nose cleanings done by your surgeon during your first visits. As we mentioned before, using the saline sprays will help you to ease your breathing after Rhinoplasty.
• Bruising around your nose after Rhinoplasty can disturb you for a while. But it will completely disappear in two weeks after your surgery. If you need to conceal it when you return your work, you can use some makeup help to feel better.
• Swelling is also gone in two weeks after your surgery. You need to keep using carefully your ice packs and medicines to shorten this time. If swelling won’t disappear in a long time, your surgeon can decide to apply some cortisone into the tip.
• A numbness on your nose is also very normal and common after Rhinoplasty. In 3 months after the operation, it will increasingly return to normal. This numbness effect will happen especially on the top of your nose. You may check your sense-regain process by touching it gently every day.
• Lastly, just enjoy your new look by comparing your before and after pictures. It is true that you will feel more perfect after this recovery process when you face with the final results of your nose. Beyond all these instructions and pieces of advice, of course, do not give up following them, your feelings coming from your new beautiful appearance is more important than everything. Don’t forget to enjoy each step of your recovery after your Rhinoplasty surgery.